TikTok shares IAB UK’s commitment to proactively decreasing the risk of brand safety issues. Including reducing ad fraud, and improving people’s overall experience of digital advertising on the platform. Other big-name companies that hold this certification include Facebook, Instagram, and Sky.
What is ‘Gold Standard’ certification?
Gold Standard 2.0 aims to enhance transparency and address privacy concerns in the industry by reviewing data protocols against a standardised process. This further builds on the initial IAB UK Standard from 2017. Companies must meet several new precise criteria in order to achieve certification. These criteria include the implementation of IAB Tech Lab’s app-ads.txt, and the provision of documentation and insight to demonstrate their compliance with the GDPR and ePrivacy Directive.
Stuart Flint, Head of Global Business Solutions, TikTok Europe, said: “As a platform with such a strong focus on user-generated content, we take our responsibility very seriously to ensure an in-app environment where people feel free to express themselves – for that they must feel safe, which in turn creates a safe environment for brands.”
He continues to signify the importance of continuing to invest in new measures, working with respected industry partners to build their suite of viewability and safety solutions for advertisers. TikTok will continue building on Gold Standard 2.0 and working with IAB UK to promote transparency, privacy, and safety across the digital advertising industry.
Nickesh Patel, AdTech Manager, IAB UK, added: “Congratulations to TikTok on becoming Gold Standard 2.0 certified. We’re delighted to have their support as we work to create a more sustainable future for digital advertising.” Patel shares how the Gold Standard ensures that current industry challenges are addressed robustly and effectively. The success relies on industry members getting involved proactively.
TikTok has also created the TikTok Academy. This is an educational programme for brands and media agencies. It covers unique solutions, tools, and creative best practice principles to help them confidently execute a TikTok campaign. For more information, TikTok Business shares how you can best get started on using TikTok as a marketing tool.
In order to earn their Gold Standard 2.0 certification, brands must comply with the following:
- Adopt the IAB Tech Lab’s app-ads.txt initiative to reduce ad fraud. This makes clear that a brand’s ad inventory can only be purchased directly through the brands own advertising systems. They should not have any other authorised sellers or resellers.
- Achieve the Trustworthy Accountability Group’s Brand Safety Certification – the largest certification programme of its kind in the global ad industry.
- Demonstrate their support for a positive user experience by promoting the Coalition of Better Ads’ Better Ads Standards for mobile web.
- Support GDPR and ePrivacy law, enabling users to manage their advertising preferences.
- Ensure all team members complete IAB Gold Standard training.
The updated criteria ensure that transparency and consent are at the forefront of companies advertising strategies. Large consumer goods companies such as Unilever and COTY are among those who have joined IAB UK’s alliance of Gold Standard advertiser supporters. They promise only to use Gold Standard certified companies wherever possible, focusing on a future of trustworthy advertising.